Friday, September 3, 2010

MEMORETTE









"Technology is therefore no mere means. Technology is a way of revealing. If we give heed to this, then another whole realm for the essence of technology will open itself up to us. It is the realm of revealing, i.e., of truth" - Martin Heidegger

Video art in a gallery, when projected on a wall, is totally out of context in this day in age. The art gallery exists mainly as a showcase to connect collectors and artists; as a venue that presents new work to those who might appreciate it and pay the artist for their blood, sweat and tears. Video art, devoid of a space-specific installation, may as well be viewed on Youtube. It lacks the object-specificity of the canvas or the sculpture and therefore becomes less precious by its very nature.

Media has lost its object-ness. We stare endlessly at glowing rectangles that instantly and endlessly change. Your sweetheart's "I love you" text becomes some dumb teenager being kicked in the crotch three seconds later.

A visceral connection to a tangible object bridges the gap between what we are and what we do.

This project comes from this argument (or the argument comes from the project). Video is a medium with which I feel comfortable as an artist, by which I mean I feel capable of producing work through it that I believe is worth showing, that I'm proud of. So how does one practically bridge the phenomenological gap and connect the art to the viewer?

When art is not preformed, it should be carefully and preciously packaged to give it a singular physical manifestation.

My solution is a proprietary device, capable only of presenting my work (or work that I choose to transpose to the format of my invention).




















2 comments:

david said...

Great thoughts. Funny and intriguing. I can't wait to see the finished product. Remember the videos in the floor at PS1? I really like the idea of a video piece that can be collected, displayed and interacted with.

JONATRON said...

@david- Thanks man! That piece at the PS1 was so cool, i'd be happy to be associated with that work any which way.